Thursday, June 14, 2012

Design Project: Conditions for Classroom Technology innovation

I can most relate to Anne and her story of trying to integrate technology through presentations in her math classes because she did not encounter any resistance from fellow teachers. In fact, some of her colleagues wanted to do her lesson plan as well.  This is very applicable to my learning experience since many science teachers today are already including interactive activities, simulations, and videos to support their lesson plans.  The distance from school culture in this case is very small which is similar to the distance from existing practice since the use of these technologies to demonstrate scientific concepts is regular.  The biggest obstacle I feel I will run into with this learning experience will be if the internet is down or if the sites I want to show the students are blocked by internet filters.  Another issue for the students for using videos is that while they make certain concepts easier to visualize they aren’t interactive so some students may not pay attention.  However, the interactive sites are great for students who are more visual and hands on learners.  It allows those students who are unable to imagine how atomic radii change over a range of elements to actually see the differences played out in a simulation. 

I feel that technology should be used in the class room if for no other reason than to make learning more fun/interesting for students.  I feel very confident in my ability (as the innovator) to use technology successfully in the classroom.  I think with chemistry it would be most useful to incorporate videos (animated) which are able to show moving parts of an atom which are unable to be seen with the naked eye. 

I think it would be a great idea to take the students on a field trip to tour a local business’s lab so they would be able to see how chemistry knowledge is applied in an everyday work setting.

No comments:

Post a Comment